Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Summer Lovin

Too hot to write. My arms are sticking to the desk. There is a fan on in here, but it seems to be blowing air directly up from hell. Inside I am an ice cream cone, but outside of me, I am actually melting. Summer is waving at me from the window, it is the end of summer even though August just started, because the school year has changed its schedule. So I am still standing in the yard, looking at summer waving, and refusing to wave my handkerchief in surrender. It's just not fair how things end. How some things just bulldoze past just when you realized you were having a good time. Raising kids is just like that. Yell, yell, fun, leap, heartbreak, yell, yell, clean up, fireworks, ice cream, everyone asleep. Rinse, and repeat. I've had so many great, dawdling summers, and I'm so grateful to have this very one, with all our kids nestled in for the night, and Barry passing his driving test renewal, and big Mags rubbing her big butt on the tree outside in the dark. Lilly summed it up tonight going to bed, talking about family: "Daddy's the biggest. Then you, then Bruce, then Nathan, then Emma, then me, but wait, no, what about Brandon and Ziani? And then Noah and Rowan? And Luke? It will take, like, quick. Like there's too many people. Like the sun will come up."

No comments: